It's time to prepare for faculty summer compensation. The dates for summer compensation 2020 are:
First Work Day: May 18, 2020 (Monday)
Last Work Day: August 18, 2020 (Tuesday)
Total earnings (including LBNL summer salary) for summer research may not exceed 1/3 of the faculty's regular nine month teaching salary (57 days max). If paid on federal funds the limit is 48 workdays days (2.5 months). NSF total should not exceed 2 months/38 workdays, per fiscal year (7/1-6/30), per sponsor policy and institutional guidelines. Refer to the policy section, 2.g(i)(a), at this link: https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/policydocs/pappg18_1/pappg_2.jsp
Just like last year, requests for payment on federal funds exceeding the limit will require that the attestation box is checked on the summer salary form and the PI sign off on the attestation.
The 2020 summer salary form and summer salary process are up on the ERSO HR website. Additionally, the Summer Salary Overview is posted.
RAs are the owner of the form and coordinate with the department if departmental funding and research funding will be used. If faculty are requesting pay on both research and departmental funding, we ask that all of the information (amount of days, COA, etc.) for both funding types are included in one form. Our HR Operations Team will be processing summer salary requests for both departmentally funded and ERSO managed research funding.
If PI will be paid on funding outside of ERSO the amount of days to be paid and department name should be listed on the form (not the chartstring) to ensure we remain in compliance with the maximum summer salary days allowed.
Summer salary requests will now be submitted to the HR Operations team via google drive instead of the HROps alias. Please carefully review the summer salary process to ensure you are submitting requests correctly.
- Please inform faculty that they must report actual days worked each month (not a percentage of time) for summer salary
- Closely monitor combined summer appointments (including the lab) so faculty don't exceed summer pay limits
- There is a great NIH calculator tool available on the ERSO web: http://www.erso.berkeley.edu/web/nih-salary-calculator (see instructions for more information on summer salary payments on NIH funds)
- Please notify HR Operations as soon as possible if you are informed your PI received a merit or promotion
- Since additional compensation is paid on a monthly basis, summer salary will only be paid on the first of the month
- Summer compensation and regular teaching salary will appear on the same check
- The annual rate of pay will be the same for teaching salary, however, it is divided by 9 to determine the proper monthly 1/9th rate. Payment calculation guidelines can be found at the following link: https://apo.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/summer20.pdf
|Summer Salary Effort Month
||HR Operations Deadline
If you have any questions in regard to summer salary appointments, please don't hesitate to email ERSO HR Operations at email@example.com or contact ERSO Payroll Services for summer salary payment information at: firstname.lastname@example.org