How to get Reimbursed: You’ll submit your receipts and related forms to our Intranet, following instructions for Requesting Reimbursement.
What’s Reimbursed: Your invitation letter should state a sponsored maximum amount your host department will provide toward your travel expenses; if not, please contact your sponsoring department to ask. Reimbursement will be made for air or train fare, rental car, personal car mileage and ground transportation, up to your sponsored maximum. If meals and lodging are provided by your department during your visit, you will not be reimbursed for such expenses.
Payment: Please use a credit card in your name to purchase your travel services; this provides verification for reimbursement to the person who paid. If receipts show payment by another’s credit card, we’ll need a letter from the cardholder stating that they have been reimbursed by the student for the purchase. We cannot reimburse flights paid with frequent flyer miles. Cash payments are not recommended, but if you must use cash, ensure that the receipt clearly states payment in cash, and total paid in full.
Booking Travel: Air travel should be economy or coach class. If booking vacation ‘packages’ that combine fares or flight/hotel, each segment must be separately cost-itemized on the receipt: we cannot reimburse for packages that are not itemized. Each visitor should purchase separate airfare in the traveler’s name.
Car Rental: If renting a car, please contact one of our UC-contracted agencies AND add CDW/LDW/SLI insurance to your rental -- this insurance is required when traveling on UC business.
Personal Vehicle Use: If using a personal vehicle, your mileage can be reimbursed. Your personal insurance will serve as primary liability coverage.
Receipts will need to show as paid in full (or a zero balance) to be reimbursed. Please save your receipts to scan and submit with your reimbursement request. Some travelers find it easy to capture images of their receipts with their handheld device, to upload during submission.
International Visitors travelling on a J1, B1, B2, F1, H1, WB or WT visa are eligible for reimbursement. Please see this web page for details.
The ERSO Intranet is the web portal for business requests submitted to all departments in the College of Engineering, College of Environmental Design and the School of Information.
- Visit the Intranet Visitor Access Request (VAR) form.
- Complete the form and submit.
- You’ll receive an email with your individualized login for Intranet access.
- Use your credentials to log into the Intranet and submit your reimbursement documents, following the Requesting Reimbursement steps below.
- Be sure to provide us with a home address that will be available for some months, for receipt of your reimbursement check. If you plan to move soon, your family home address or other long-term contact location is recommended. If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you must provide a non-U.S. address.
- Save and scan your travel-related expense receipts. Receipts should note a zero balance, ‘paid in full’, or similar statement as proof of payment.
- If receipts show payment by another person’s credit card, please include a letter from the cardholder stating that they have been reimbursed by the student for the purchase.
- Original air coupon/ticket stub must accompany your reimbursement request. Ticketless travelers must submit a paid itemized itinerary. Boarding passes are not acceptable as proof of travel.On vacation ‘packages’ that combine fares or flight/hotel, each segment must be separately cost-itemized on the receipt: we cannot reimburse for packages that are not itemized.
- If requesting reimbursement for travel with your personal vehicle, indicate total number of miles traveled. Amount cannot exceed cost of an advance round trip airfare. Mileage and license plate number must be noted. You will be reimbursed at the current rate per mile, which includes gas.
- Some of the forms you’ll upload request personal and confidential information; we will redact the information from the forms after using the needed information.
- Your visa type may have special requirements for reimbursement requests. Please see this web page for details on specifics.
- Please note that your reimbursement will be processed after your trip is complete.
Your invitation letter should state a sponsored maximum amount your host department will provide toward your travel expenses. Reimbursement will be made for air or train fare, rental car, personal car mileage and ground transportation, up to your sponsored maximum. If meals and lodging are provided by your department during your visit, you will not be reimbursed for such expenses.
Your reimbursement request can be submitted online through the ERSO Intranet once you have all your receipts. Just fill out a Visitor Travel Reimbursement form with your reimbursement details, then complete and upload other necessary forms and receipts as documentation of your expenses for processing and check reimbursement. Your reimbursement will be processed after your trip is complete AND we have receivsed all required documentation from you via your Intranet request.
- Fill out a Visitor Travel Reimbursement form with expense details.
- Fill out other required forms.
- Login to the Intranet following the onscreen instructions; select your sponsoring department* and submission type.
- Scan and upload receipt copies and required forms using the Browse / Upload buttons at bottom of screen.
- Include travel receipts documenting expenses noted on the reimbursement form.
- Click Submit. You will receive a submission confirmation screen and an email with your Intranet request ID#. Make note and reference this number in any correspondence with us.
- If you need to submit additional forms, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Intranet request ID# in subject line, and attach the completed documents.
* Your sponsor may be a department, faculty or research center. Please confirm your visit sponsor before submission to the Intranent.
- Vendor Information Form (VIF)
- Visitor Travel Form
- Your invitation letter, with sponsored award amount
- Passport Copy showing stamp **
- I-94 / ESTA Copy *
- W-8 BEN *
- Certificate of Academic Activity *
- Wire Transfer Form ***
* International Visitors only
** International Visitors including Canadian and Mexican citizens
*** For payment to payees located in a foreign country or payments that must be made in non-U.S. currency
For Questions About Your Visit, Contact Your Sponsoring Department:
- BioEngineering (BioE)
- Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE)
- Electrical Engineering-Computer Science (EECS)
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Material Science and Engineering (MSE)
- Nuclear Engineering (NE)
- Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership
- CED Architecture
For Questions About Your Reimbursement, Contact ERSO / Team 2 Reimbursement Services.